App Inventor is a great and quite universal tool developped by the MIT Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Lab and released by Google under Creative Commons 3.0 licence. As described in the project website:
"MIT App Inventor is an intuitive, visual programming environment that allows everyone – even children – to build fully functional apps for smartphones and tablets.Those new to MIT App Inventor can have a simple first app up and running in less than 30 minutes. [ ... ] The MIT App Inventor project seeks to democratize software development by empowering all people, especially young people, to move from technology consumption to technology creation."
Follow this module to get introduced to programming Apps for your smartphone with among the best development softwares for beginners, and learn how to create and use programs to build your own electronic devices with Arduino and Bluetooth to communicate with your phone.
Related Studies Level: from Secondary School to University programs.
AI2 Module : Table of Content
- AI2 Practice 1: Setup Your Environment and send "Hello World"!
- AI2 Course 1: Designer and Block Interface: object programming.
- AI2 Practice 2: Application Design: Good Practices
- AI2 Course 2: Bluetooth & WIFI: Universal Wireless Communication System
- AI2 Practice 3: Building and Managing a Network Environnment
- AI2 Course 3: Using Phone Sensors and other interactive components
- AI2 Practice 4: Building an Application for Your Network Environment
- AI2 Course 4: Combining AI2, Arduino and Paper Electronics
- AI2 Practice 5: Fabrication o a custom Human Computer Interface
Today, this software is being used world-wide by millions of beginners and experienced technologists, and especially scholars, students and teachers or else individual hobbyists to start developing great Applications and even build up commercial products from their creations.
We spent a few years working with European and North-American scholars from Secondary to Technical and General High School Level on multi-disciplinary projects with teachers in science and technology tosetup courses and Applications using paper-based electronics and App Inventor for a variety of projects.